While officially spring is still almost 2 weeks away, I swear I could smell it in the air today!
With the weather forecast remaining optimistic for the weekend: clear blue skies and the mercury reaching low to mid 20s around the country, it may be a good time to reshuffle a few things in the storage cupboard, pull out a blanket and go for a picnic.
The following 3 recipes are great, because they can be used 3 ways: as sandwich fillings, as salads and as dips. Chop more coarsely for the salad, or blend in a food processor for the dip. Easy!
Turkey + Hazelnut + Apple + Celery |
Tuna + Feta + Capers |
Sardines + Egg + Salad
Store and carry in palstic containers if you’re not going to eat your sandwiches within an hour of making – they won’t get soggy on the way. Or choose a crusty roll that will cope better with the high moisture content over square toast bread. You can also pick out the soft bread from the middle to make more room for yummy stuffing! I always do.
Of course, when making bread choices keep in mind your allergies and use the type of bread you know you can eat.
Oh, and don’t forget to bring cutlery to scoop the toppings on.
Turkey + Hazelnut + Apple + Celery (with home-made mayonnaise)
- 200g oven-roasted turkey breast, shredded
- 100g celery sticks, sliced thinly
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced and chopped roughly
- 20 hazelnuts, chopped roughly
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 35 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- (1/2 avocado to use as instead of butter or margarine)
To make mayonnaise use an electric mixer or food processor to whisk the egg yolk then gradually add the oil in a thin stream. When blended in well, squeeze in 1 tsp of lemon juice.
Place turkey, apple, celery and hazelnuts in a mixing bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and mix – this will stop the apples from oxidising (going brown). Add mayonnaise and mix again. And voila: your filling is ready!
Tuna + Feta + Capers
- 185g can of tuna in oil (Sirena or John West have the best blend and content of tuna and olive oil)
- 75g feta, diced or shredded
- 1/2 small onion. diced finely
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp caper water from the jar
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped
Mash tuna with a fork to blend in with the oil until no big chunks remain. Place in a mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well and serve.
Sardines + Egg + Salad
- 120g can of sardines in tomato sauce (Santa Maria)
- 1 egg, hard boiled and chopped
- 70g cucumber, chopped finely
- tomato sauce to tatse
Place sardines in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add chopped egg and cucumber and mix well. Season with extra tomato sauce if needed.
Comment on this post or share it via Email, Facebook, Twitter and more using buttons above the comment box.